Report a Claim

If an incident occurs at your entity that may result in a claim, be sure to report it to your local agent and the NDIRF Claims Department as soon as possible.

Remember, if your covered auto or equipment repair comp estimates are $3,000 or less, you can get immediate repair authorization and quick repair payments using our Quick Pay Comp Claim form. Click the Quick Pay Comp Claim button below to get started. 

To report an NDIRF liability, auto, or public assets claim:

  1. Contact your local agent
  2. Provide your agent with detailed information and documentation about the claim or incident
  3. Provide your agent with a contact name and number

Your agent will complete and submit a loss/incident report (below) and all pertinent claim documentation to

Loss/incident reports:

To report a North Dakota Fire & Tornado claim:

  • NDIRF Local Government Members: Work with your local agent to report an NDFT claim.
  • State Agencies: Report claims directly to the NDIRF by completing and submitting the NDFT Property Loss Report and all pertinent claim documentation to

To report a State Bonding Fund claim:

Complete and submit a Notice of Claim form and all pertinent claim documentation to

Additional Information

Claims are received and reviewed by the NDIRF’s in-house claims team, and an NDIRF adjuster is assigned to each claim. The adjuster contacts within one business day the Claim Contact listed on the corresponding claim’s loss/incident report.

Click here to view a step-by-step How to Report a Claim guide.

Summons and Complaints

If your first loss notice is the service of a Summons and Complaint, include a copy of the document with the report you submit to the NDIRF.

*A Summons and Complaint must be responded to within 21 days from the date it’s served. Failure to respond within this timeframe may result in a judgment being filed.